Bristol Breast Care Centre
Southmead Hospital Charity provided £400,000 to build the Bristol Breast Care Centre, which was opened to patients in August 2015 at Beaufort House, Southmead Hospital, to provide screening, diagnosis and after-care support for cancer patients.
The centre has already improved the lives, health and life expectancy of hundreds of women.
Before the new centre was built, patients had to visit a number of different sites in Bristol during the different stages of their screening, diagnosis, treatment and aftercare. This was a very fragmented and potentially distressing experience, with patients meeting with a different health professional every time in a new place.
At the new Bristol Breast Care Centre, every step of the journey from initial screening to radiology, surgery and counselling now happens at the same place - with comfort and familiarity gained from on-going contact and support from staff.
It has been designed to create a peaceful and light environment to help alleviate what can be a stressful time.
- higher survival rates resulting from access to the best treatments and research;
- a more effective service, due to centralised, bespoke care - all provided under one roof;
- a much improved ‘patient experience’ through the provision of a peaceful, welcoming and supportive environment, and a vast array of services and support;
- a larger research team accessing investment in research and innovation;
- an increased ability to disseminate learning and influence national policy, resulting from the amalgamation of the three existing services.
Your donations have enabled all of this to happen - thank you for your support of the Bristol Breast Care Centre Appeal.
Dedicate a blossom
Adjacent to the new Bristol Breast Care Centre is the iconic cherry blossom tree - reflecting the beauty and fragility of nature. Its spectrum of seasonal colours is a metaphor for the circle of life.
If you would like to continue to show your support for this amazing centre, please donate today or buy a blossom on the cherry tree mural.
For a minimum donation if £25 you will have the opportunity to dedicate your blossom. Many have chosen to do this to celebrate their own recovery or in recognition of group fundraising for the centre.
As the Cherry Blossom Donation Tree is designed to be uplifting, we kindly ask that messages are positive and celebratory. We are not able to accept memorial style messages.
Share this page: